In The Wide, Wide World, Susan Bogart encourages the reader to explore the traditional family lifestyle in order reveal that family should be held as one of the highest priorities to anyone. In the definition of 'traditional family' meaning that there are both a mother and a father, and it is the father's role to provide for the family and the mother to teach the children, and take care of the household. However, in Ellen's situation the reader can assume that her family was a regular traditional family for quite some time until her father can no longer provide the essentials for their family, and her mother becomes drastically ill. Ellen is now faced with becoming a young lady at the age of only eight, and being throw over to her Aunt's possession because her parents are forced to travel overseas.
The 'average' American father during the nineteenth century did not play a key role in his children's lives. His main responsibilities were to provide an income for his family, and the mother would be the one who take of the children, as well as take care of daily household duties that needed to be done. Mr. Montgomery fits the stereotype of the 'average' father during that time period to the "T". In The Wide, Wide World, the reader does not hear of Mr.Montgomery very often due to the fact that he is constantly at work, and usually will leave before Ellen comes down for breakfast in the mornings. However, the reader can conclude that money is tight for the Montgomery family because Mr Montgomery is being transferred overseas, Ellen does not have suitable clothing, and the mother sells one of her pride processions in order to get Ellen the things she truly desires before she is forced to leave her. The problem is that Eleen is particularly close to her mother, but does not even seem the least bit affectionate to her father. Also, Ellen has such a difficult time in trusting God that her mother tells her to visualize their relationship, and compares to what it should be like with God. Clearly, Ellen does not have the proper father figure role in her life.
"Don't you trust me, Ellen?"
"Certainly, mamma."
"How do you trust me?- In what?"
"Why mamma,- in the first place, I trust every word you say- entirely- I know nothing could be truer; if you were to tell me black is white, mamma I should think my eyes had been mistaken. Then everything you tell or advise me to do, I know is right, perfectly."
Because her constantly absent father, Ellen has trouble in trusting in God.
However, because Mrs. Montgomery is so extremely ill she is not viewed as the ideal mother. Susan Bogart actually reversed the roles of Ellen and her mother since Ellen is the one who is caring more so for her mother than the other way around. Ellen far too delighted in pleasing her mother, as if she is actually the parents caring for her child. The Highlight of Ellen's day is when she makes her mother her toast and tea because she does it ever so gently, and makes one hundred percent sure that it is perfect for her mother. Since her mother is ill, she is not able to go out without growing tired quickly. Ellen is sent out to gather the things that are needed for her own clothing because her mother is in able to do this for her. She is forced to grow up much faster than is needed, but because of her situation Ellen must face the challenges ahead of her.
In my opinion, Ellen sees her mother as the most amazing person on the face of the Earth. She would never wish to displease her in any manner what so ever. She would do anything for her, and trusts in ever world that comes from her mouth. Also, Ellen attempts to be so strong in order to allow her mother to assume that she alright with both of her parents leaving her. However, when it comes to her father I believe that Ellen does not care nearly as about him as much as she does for her mother. She tells of how her father is gone for periods of time, and shows no discomfort towards his absence. Clearly, the reader can see that her mother is her only friend that she can confide in.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Hey! Rachel I really enjoyed reading your blog. I felt I had very similar ideas and interpretation of the text. I like your opening paragraph how you say Ellen was forced to become a women at eight. I think that is a very large point to understand. I think your interpretation of the Montgomery parents versus the stereotypical parents of the nineteenth century was very informative. I interpreted the Montgomery's going to Europe as a choice, but through your interpretation I can see that they may have indeed been hurting for money and that is why they are leaving and that is why Ellen must stay and that is why Mr. Montgomery only gave his wife a little amount for Ellen's supplies. Overall I feel you interpreted the text well and I really enjoyed reading your blog and learning of your ideas.
ReplyDeleteI loved how you said Ellen's trust issues with God stem from her trust issues with her father because she has no real father figure. I had not thought about that connection, and I think it's an interesting point of view to consider. And I think it's obvious that she cares more for her mother than her father because you can't care for someone who doesn't know you.
ReplyDeleteI like your post alot it really good You made me realize i lot more thing about the story than i knew also I like how you interpreted it. I also agree with the ending you can definantly tell that her mom is her only friend in the book and she does not have very much contact with the outside worlds
ReplyDelete